Sunday, November 4, 2012

Love of Shadows - Excerpt Four


Here is the last excerpt from my book Love of Shadows. The book's central character, Judith, is a traditional female healer in a city traditional medicine is banned and the penalty for breaking the law is death by hanging. In this excerpt Judith is working in an underground hospital.

“Peter,” I say. “I don’t think I’ve changed that dressing for a while.”

The rumble is growing to thunder and there are voices. 

I pick up a clean dressing and a pot of ointment from the shelves and walk across the room. As I bend  over the bed, I try not to think of the light of flames moving along the house walls of the square. I try not to see the look of hatred on the faces of the torchbearers. I try not to listen. I try to focus only on Peter and my hand as it peels back the dressing. I try not to listen to the clamor.

Under my breath I say a prayer: “Angels who are blessed, take this darkness from me.”

And the darkness does clear, for a while. The wound is healing, so I apply some ointment to keep it clean and pick up the new dressing.

They are overhead now. There is no escaping the words, the room almost shakes with them: “Burn the witch! Death to the witch!”

My legs fail me and I slip to my knees. I am in the darkest of my nightmares, darkness shot through with flames. “Sarah, they are coming.”


I am Zoe Brooks, a British writer and poet. I spend half my life in a partly restored old farmhouse in the Czech Republic, where I write all my novels and poetry. I aim to write popular  books, which have complex characters and themes that get under the reader's skin.

Buy Love of Shadows on:

You can find out more on:
Blog: http://zoebrooks.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Debby said...

What a spot to end the excerpt!!
debby236 at gmail dot com