Sunday, November 4, 2012

Swoon-Worthy or Not, That is the Question...

Swoon-worthy is a matter of perception, like many things in romance. There are hundreds of aspects surrounding romance novels. Completely unlike what experts declare to be the six or so key elements key to the formula. Or pattern as it were…But does the pattern really still ring true?

Let’s see…Guy meets girl, or guy meets guy, or guys meet girl, or wolf meets girl, or vampire meets guy…
As you can see the first pattern of romance is established via the perfectly normal relationship according to societal standards…(okay—can you see my smirk from clear over there?) So, seems we’ve disrupted that part of the “pattern” a bit…
What’s the next stop on the formula highway?
They fall in love, there is a grievous “thing” that keeps them apart for several chapters, the “thing is resolved,” they have the most explosive, best feeling sex ever (even if they are both virgins and have nothing to compare it to), oh, and then happily-ever-after, blah, blah, blah…
Formula complete.
Well, I don’t know about y’all, but I grew way tired of that little pigeonhole, box mold formula a long time ago. Give me something to chew on for a while. Not…
See Dick.
See Jane.
See Dick fall in love with Jane.
See Jane swoon.
See Dick and Jane get married.
See Jane wears white even though at that cocktail party that night they slipped into a closet and it was “implied” they were doing something other than kissing.
See Jane give birth seven and a half months later.
See Dick get frustrated some years down the road and divorce poor Jane.
Okay that last bit is how I see life. Realistically. Problem ridden. The silver lining needs silver polish and the rainbow is missing a color or two at times and the pot of gold happens to be a cardboard cut-out. J
My secret is out. I am indeed the Queen of Conflict.
That’s one of the problems I have with formulaic romance. The lack of serious conflictual material. I love conflict and think it makes the story. It allows your characters to overcome something other than the decision as to what to wear to that big cotillion over to the country club. It gives them depth and gives them room to grow—editors call it character development. And, they like it deep. (hehe)
However, I’ve learned to rein this conflicting skill in to a fine art. The conflict must be something realistic that can be overcome or it’s off the board for me. I live in a real world with real people all around me with plenty of real life issues to draw from. There is no excuse for me not to have a beautiful storyline chock full of conflict, heroism, tears, joy, and resolve to write a romance novel which my readers can believe in and be inspired from. If my characters can do it, well, then they need to believe they can too and anything is possible in their lives.
They can find true love, even if that love comes home from Iraq not completely the person they left as. They can overcome the heartache of loss and move on to find love again. They can face their inner demons and become the people they know they can be.
My characters have substance.
But do they make anyone swoon?
I hope so.
What is swoon worthy anyway? Well, just because I make it so real doesn’t mean my heroes and heroines don’t know how to be romantic and display loving gestures fit for any Lady of any court befitted upon them by any Knight. (I love historical, but only well written, factual, down and dirty historical where things aren’t always sunshine and daffodils—who’d have guessed that, right?)
So, the moral of the story is…
One man’s seven course dinner is another man’s roof job, or, one man’s moonlight walk is another man’s switch to his heroine’s behind.
Some of Allen’s romantic gestures which I consider swoon-worthy from Assumed Calling include; he keeps Nicki’s studio filled with daisies (her favorite flower), he sends her texts reminding her to eat, and he takes her to sub-space to help her control her anxiety.
Romantic gestures are all in the perception of them. Swooning is optional. J
I hope y’all enjoy getting to know Allen and his romantic methods in a few days…
Lila Munro 

2 comments:

Debby said...

Just think if everyone was swoon worthy to every one, it would be so boring. What I find worthy another does not.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Molly said...

I agree with Debby :)

Someone whom I may find swoon worthy, may be the worst nightmare of another person :) It's all in the tastes and what one person likes.

Thanks for sharing!

molly at reviewsbymolly dot com